Friday, February 22, 2013

Pope Art



The Pontiff's recent abdication of Pope-dom created a media frenzy last week.  The shocking news of the resignation has stunned the Catholic Church as it has not seen a blasphemous act of this magnitude since...well, remember this?


I've noticed that many other websites and blogs have decided to showcase some of my favorite papal art before I had the chance, so I will spare you the re-posting of images like Valazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X or any of Francis Bacon's studies.  However, the rarity that a Pope stepping down from the pulpit coinciding with the nearest an asteroid has ever been to Earth (excluding the one that did in the dinosaurs, of course), I find it appropriate to leave you with Maurizio Cattelan's installation La Nona Ora (The Ninth Hour):

La Nona Ora (The Ninth Hour) by Maurizio Cattelan

No comments:

Post a Comment