Sunday, May 15, 2011

A note on typeface addiction...

Number Study from The Adults by Alison Espach
As an avid reader of many subjects, I tend to navigate my way around the pages of literature with general ease and comprehension.  On occasion, however, I find myself on a detour when I see an interesting font choice for relaying a story.  Most often the chapter and page numbers pique my curiosity, the way they interact with each other, every other page a new exciting combination graces the typically insignificant corners.  From here it moves into a recognition of a single letter (a lowercase "g"; a capital "W") and continues to spread from letter to letter to word to sentence to pages to chapters...

At some point I come out of the stupor and realize that I have no recollection of any information presented in the last few pages (a blackout if you will).  Naturally, I reread the passage and all is well, but my addiction to the printed word is merely temporarily suppressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment